Classic Twin for British Twins and singles
Suits Triumph, Norton, BSA and othersRated 5/5 based on 6 reviews.
The Classic Twin utilises 21st century technology to provide simple installation without the black box, superior running and easy starting without kick back. Many years of experience with classic motorcycles and extensive development has resulted in this high precision, zero maintenance, compact and reliable system. Built in self test mode and LED for setting the timing.
The TRI-0005A is suitable for Triumph Unit Twins (T100, T120, TR7RV, T140 Bonneville, Tiger, Daytona etc), Norton Atlas and 1968 Commando, Enfield Interceptor - Clockwise Rotation.
The TRI-0005B is suitable for Norton Commando 1969-75, BSA unit twins (A65, B50), BSA singles (B25 etc) and Triumph singles (Tiger Cub) - Counter Clockwise Rotation.
This is a 12 volt system for positive OR negative earth/ground installations.
Recommended accessories with the Classic Twin
- Ignition Coils Tri-Spark 6V high performance coils (2 required for twins); (IGC-1006)
- Spark plug lead (wires are 90cm long – cut to length), (2 required); Right angle coil end (SPL-0020) or Straight coil end (SPL-0010)
- NGK 5k suppressor caps (2 required). Spark plug cap (SPL-0030) or Small spark plug cap (SPL-0040)
Recommended accessories for Single Cylinder Bikes
- Ignition Coil Tri-Spark 12V high performance coil; (IGC-1012).
- Spark plug lead (wires are 90cm long – cut to length); Right angle coil end (SPL-0020) or Straight coil end (SPL-0010)
- NGK 5k suppressor caps. Spark plug cap (SPL-0030) or Small spark plug cap (SPL-0040)
- The 'A' type is for engines where the Tri-Spark trigger rotor turns CLOCKWISE (Triumph unit twins, Norton Atlas, 1968 Commando, RE intercepter, Velocette)
- The 'B' type is for engines where the trigger rotor turns COUNTER CLOCKWISE (Norton Commando 1969-75, BSA A65, BSA unit twins and singles, Triumph singles, Tiger Cub)
The direction is the way the Tri-Spark rotor turns when installed in the engine and looking at the front face of the rotor.
Why two versions? The direction and speed of rotation are used to opimise the starting performance which is critical for kickstarting and also helps to avoid damage to the electric start mechanism which is easily damaged in some machines if the engine kicks against the starter. We designed this unique system because you want your engine to fire up easily!
What the kit includes
- Tri-Spark stator unit (trigger and control module) - replaces the points plate
- Tri-Spark trigger rotor - replaces the auto advance unit and points cam
- 12 page illustrated colour instruction booklet
- a few useful wiring terminals and hardware items for fitting
Classic Twin for offset crank
The Classic Twin is generally used for parallel twins with a 360-degree crank configuration, however it may be used on engines with offset cranks such as 270-degree. A modification is required to the trigger rotor for offset crank applications to reposition the magnets to suit your engine. Please add the Offset Crank Rotor to your cart and specify the degrees and for what bike in the delivery note section.
NOTE: PODTRONICS SINGLE PHASE VOLTAGE REGULATOR
The Podtronics Single Phase Voltage Regulator POD-1P-HP 12v 200- watt rectifier – regulator is not suitable for use with Tri-Spark Electronic Ignitions due to the electrical noise interference this voltage regulator emits. The noise interference is severe enough that it could affect any electronics on the bike.
If you have a Podtronics Single Phase Voltage Regulator fitted to your bike, we recommend purchasing and fitting a Filter for Electrical Noise Reduction (VR-0010). Alternatively, you may want to upgrade your voltage regulator to our MOSFET 20 amp Voltage Rectifier Regulator. For more information please read the trouble shooting guide on the technical page on our website.
For more information on our Classic Twin Ignition read our flyer on the Classic Twin or watch our installation video
Rewarding Upgrade20 May 2020I recently fitted the EI for my 1976 Triumph T140V and it has made a huge improvement to kick starting, idle tickover and performance. I now feel more confident with how my motorcycle runs and idles at the traffic lights. The installation was straight forward and my Triumph started 1st kick after 18 yrs of storage...... very impressed. I highly recommend this igntion system and I am about to install another one on my Norton Commando. Now go ride!
First Start1 April 2020First start with your Classic Twin Ignition for Triumph. After rebuilt, just two kicks needed and running like clockwork. Thanks! Regards, Ernst Fliek. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScdpA3BqCQQ
Trispark cures 850MKIII kickback issueBy: Kara Chaffee on 25 December 2018Hi All, When I got my 850 Electric Start, it was fitted with a Boyer, and during startup, kept kicking back through the sprag. This was making a nasty grinding noise through the overload clutch. I fitted the Trispark and the problem went away. It idles better too. My advice for any vintage British bike is to buy brand new Amals and get a Trispark .
ImpressedBy: Dave on 10 August 2018Hi Steve, I fitted Tri Spark to my Nourish Triumph replacing the Sparx system that failed. The difference in smoothness-idling & decelerating to idle is faultless. Great service & Great Aussie product.
Most impressedBy: Karl Roe on 6 August 2018Hi Steve, I have fitted your electronic ignition(Classic Twin) to my 1970 Norton Commando….most impressed. Previously I was using Boyer, now the bike is much easier to start and idles at a lower rpm flawlessly, also when riding in a high gear at low throttle openings the bike no longer lurches/hunts every time the engine fires.